Peter Baylis, owner of Elephant & Castle, mixes up some holiday get-together memories with his Mulled Apple Cider.
Mulled Apple Cider by Peter Baylis
1 oz. of Amber Rum, Spiced Rum, or Rye
2L fresh apple cider
3 baking apples, cored and thickly sliced
1/2 tsp fresh-ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp whole allspice
1 tsp whole cloves
2-3 cinnamon sticks
1. Add apple cider to a pot and bring almost to a boil.
2. Core and thickly slice 3 baking apples.
3. As the cider is heating through, add 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp allspice, 1 tsp cloves, 2-3 cinnamon sticks and apple slices.
4. Stir gently to mingle the flavours and allow to simmer for anywhere from 20 minutes to a few hours.
5. Pour into a tall mug and garnish with cooked apple slices.
6. Add 1 oz of your alcohol of choice - Rum, Spiced Rum or Rye - and serve.